Friday, December 16, 2005

Yearly Inoculation

Hi Everybody.

This is my 2005 Year End double disc compilation, “Yearly Inoculation”. (Or rather, it’s the online, digital equivalent. The MP3's, will be up for TWO WEEKS, and then taken down, never to be put up again.) You can save them to your computer by right clicking and choosing save the URL source. These liner notes and front and back cover art are available via PDF format here.

Why two discs? Well, I have listened and added so much to my music collection, either through purchasing my own over the years, or getting entire albums as gifts from people from school and personal acquaintance, that know my proclivities for musical abundance, and open-minded receptivity for new stuff. My collection is nearing 4500 songs on my laptop alone. For some that collect music, that might not be heaps of music, but for me, it suits just fine. That, and it takes up half of my hard drive.

I spent at least nine months listening to everything in my collection at least 100 times over, from classical to contemporary pop, to blues, rock and rap, (not to mention trance and country, I have 74 genre's on my iTunes, at the moment.) that every song I picked for this compilation was there to help push me through some sort of either crisis, or in the background while working, and they all stuck in my memory as a wicked tune.

Here's a listing of the tracks, and a reason for why I put them on the compilation.

1.) "John Wayne Gacy Jr". by Sufjan Stevens from the album "Illinoise".

My very good friend who I love dearly, Robert Dean, sent me this entire album with the promise that I'd love it. He wasn't wrong. Vocally reminiscent of Paul Simon, Sufjan Stevens sings a heartbreaking ballad about John Wayne Gacy Jr. For those that might not sympathize with a serial killer, (neither do I, for the record) this song is both eerie and beautiful, at the same time. The line "Oh My God" literally sends shivers up my backbone.

2.) "Don't Smoke In Bed" by k.d. lang. From the album "Drag"

This was scooped from an album that my landlord Greg let me borrow and subsequently import into my mac. k.d. encapsulates the dreamy, sorrowful meaning behind the lyrics, and her velvet vocals go all over the place. Her high notes and vibrato are to die for. This is how good I wish I sounded. The strings have a very chilling, sad pitch to them that contrasts uniquely with the bass and electric guitar, giving a unique bent to a classic jazz/blues style song.

3.) "No Fun" by The Black Keys, from the album, "The Moan"

If you heard this, and then I told you this was two mid-twenty something white guys from the middle US, would you believe me? The vocalist plays the guitar and does the bass line with his thumb, and the other member does the drums and percussion. Raw and gritty vocals appeal to me as much as smooth skilled voices. Kudos to Erik for introducing me to this group.

4.) "I Will Not Forget You", by Sarah McLachlan, from the album "Solace"

I'll admit, I own every Sarah McLachlan album out there, including rarities and stuff you can't find most other places. Her celtic sounding vocals are soul stirring to me. At any rate, this song reminds me of my trip to Dallas, to see Devin in May. I'm not going to elaborate on more details other than that statement.

5.) "These Boots Are Made For Walking" By Nancy Sinatra.

This one hit wonder by Missus Sinatra has been the introduction to the Glamazon Shoe Diaries Podcast for almost every single 'cast I've created. What better a song for a blog 'cast like mine, and what better song to put on the 2005 year end music compilation?

6.) "Pretty Donna" by Collective Soul, from the album "Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid"

This unexpected, short, and very beautiful strings piece is in the middle of the first rock album from one of my absolute favourite bands. Needless to say, when I saw them live in 1999 at Edgefest, I didn't happen to hear this song. I don't think they keep a 12 piece orchestra with their gear on the tour bus.

7.) "Pussy Control" (Uncensored Club Mix) by Prince.

Yep. I heart Prince. Why is this on my compilation? Because it makes me laugh every time I hear it. 'Mama didn't tell them what she told me, "Girl you need pussy control."' , and I LOVE the chorus.

8.) "Desparado" by Clint Black.

While I like the Eagles version of this song, I prefer the Clint Black version to the original. I find the piano more moving, and I really like Clint's voice.

9.)"I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones

How else could I start my 24 hour Blogathon to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society than with a song like this?

10.) "Sister Awake" by The Tea Party, from the album "Tangents"

I love Jeff Martin's voice. He might be arrogant, but damn. What a voice. I love the Eastern instruments used in this song. I love the lyrics. I love how epic this song feels. 'Nuff said.

11.) "Flip Fantasia (Cantaloupe)" by Us3

This song is a mixture of modern jazz, hip hop, and sampling mixed together. It makes me want to dance, and honest to gawd, I know every single word in it.

12.) "Mary" by the Scissor Sisters from the album "Scissor Sisters"

This kickass band is all over the genre platform. From epic 80's style ballads, to disco, to this little gem, which is by far my most favoured track on the entire album. Kudos to Devin for introducing this to me, and extra kudos to me, for picking up the album on the fly, even though when I originally listened to it, to hear what the hell he was raving about in Virgin Records, I cringed at the cover of "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd that they did. It’s since grown on me immensely. Lyrically, “Mary” could make me cry, it's so simple, and so beautiful.

13.) "Lost Cause" by Beck, from the album "Sea Change"

This dreamy, somewhat sad song, is Beck when he's heartbroken, from an album that got roundly booed by critics because he wasn't his campy, crazy self. All I have to say is what the hell is wrong with the critics? It's fantastic lyrically, as opposed to his on the fly, in your face, somewhat nonsensical stuff. (Don't get me wrong, I dig his other stuff too. I should, I own it all...)

However, this is one of my favourite tracks on the album, and the video is bizarre enough that it matches up with the rest of his other album styles, replete with a robot with Beck's face shooting sparks from various body parts, while it falls from the sky in slow motion wearing a parachute. If you missed the weird in there somewhere, you need to re-read that paragraph.

14.) "Tired Of Being Alone" by Al Green, from the Dead Presidents Soundtrack.

Oh, Mygod. Sooooo good. Anyone that dares to defy me, you're wrong. If tell me that you haven't felt like this at least once in your life, you're flat out lying.

15.) "Love's Divine" by Seal, from the album "Seal IV"

Seal has a voice that is like raspy velvet. It's pure, soft, gentle and powerful all at once. Lyrically, this song is beautiful, and the piano is simple and sweet.

16.) "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. From the album "The Best of Johnny Cash"

Johnny is classic country, though some would argue with me and classify it as Folk. This song has one of the best lines ever written in music history. In case you've never heard it before, the line is "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."

(This is the liner notes for disc 2/2.)

1.) "In This World" by Moby from the album "18"

That odd, bald, vegan Moby seems to find the most fantastic vocal tracks to sample from the gospel, blues and old black slave spiritual songs. This tune makes me want to sing with her.

2.) "Little L" by Jamiroquai, from the album "A Funk Odyssey"

Jamiroquai has one of the purest, most enjoyable voices I've heard from a “newer” artist. His first album "Traveling Without Moving" was released in 1996, and he was largely unnoticed by the average mainstream music listener as anything other than “That guy that wears them weird hats in his videos.”.

I think that he is one of the only “new” artists that has come up with something relatively new in the current music market, by pulling his influences from funk and disco rather than sampling them, and taking an interesting modern R&B spin on unique, original songs. He has increased in popularity since "A Funk Odyssey" was released in 2001. If you don't want to boogie listening to this, you're missing out. The hand claps in the chorus are the most fun part of the song for me. To be honest, I listened to both albums SO much in the past few months, I’d like to put more on here.

3.) "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day from the album "American Idiot"

Green Day has decided to play some more gutsy punk rock. Instead of talking about having the time of their life, or how they’re a basketcase, they’ve leaned towards the Punk tendency to cut strips out of poor political decisions/leaders, etc. and say what they think.

In my opinion, the opinion they’re putting forward on “American Idiot” is bang on the money, so of course, I'd like it. "Boulevard..." isn't necessarily one of those songs, but the album "American Idiot", is by far one of the best, most inventive, politically savvy mainstream rock albums I've ever heard. Ever. In my entire life.

This song was the one that caused me to purchase the album, and I've never looked back or regretted picking it up. I guess there's something to be said for mainstream radio after all.

4. "(You Caught Me) Smilin' (w/Scar)" by Sly and the Family Stone, from the album "Different Strokes by Different Folks"

Dad, before you get mad at the fact that someone hacked up a classic funk song, you should know that Sly himself produced this, in collaboration with contemporary Hip-Hop and R&B artists.

You should also know that this entire album put a wicked spin on a lot of the older Sly and the Family Stone songs. Not that there was anything wrong with the originals. This song got me going again after a 12 hour writing stint, where I was starting to burn out and needed something to get me going again. It did the job, so don’t be hatin’, yo.

5.) "Groove Me" by King Floyd, from the album "In Yo Face! The History of Funk Volume 1"

I must thank Erik for introducing and subsequently getting me hooked on Funk. Thank you, Erik. I was missing out on a huge part of music history and a great style and sense of rhythm and soul until you funked with my heart... I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist.

6.) "It Don't Bother Me" by the Fjords, from the album "The Fjords"

Meet Luke. Luke is the lead vocalist and guitarist for the Fjords. Luke said hello to me one night on Yahoo messenger at two am, and damn, I wish he didn't live in Saskatchewan. Unique vocals, interesting lyrics and the sound of the song got me hooked on "Don't Bother Me", which I found to be the best and most solid of the three he sent me. I've since told him that CBC Radio 3 might be interested in putting his song on the fantastic podcast they put together weekly, featuring new Canadian talent. You can find out more about the Fjords by going to www.thefjords.com.

7.) "Hard Latin" by Kenyon Hopkins, from the album "Sounds from the Verve Hi-Fi".

With it's hot, cha-cha feel, "Hard Latin" goes to show that not all electronica is a bad thing, and not all electronica is "The same damned thumping beat" according to my mom. "Sounds From the Verve Hi-Fi" is an album I dig immensely, and is great for background music while working either writing or designing. Like St. Germaine, It would also be smashing for background music at a social gathering.

8.) "Talk" by Coldplay, from the album "X&Y".

While this album got mixed reviews, and largely sounded like the previous Coldplay album "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", (you shouldn't be surprised that it does.) However, that being said, I really enjoy the dreamy, atmospheric guitar in this song, and lyrically, I dig it quite a bit. “Talk” was the best song on “X&Y”, in my opinion.

9.) "Black Coffee" by Ella Fitzgerald.

Ella has a timeless, gorgeous quality to her voice that leaves me in awe. For years, Ella has been my vocal icon, along with Sarah Vaughan and at times, Billie Holiday. This song is mournful and lovely at the same time, with definite period lyrics. I first heard this song when I was 16, and it’s stayed one of my favourites since then.



10.) "Love To See You Cry" by Enrique Iglesias, from the album "Escape"

Yes. I'm a girl. Yes, I'm a girl that has an appreciation for exotic men. Well... ANY men, really, but I’m digressing here, and it’s starting to get a little warm.

I love the dark overtones of the lyrics, with the latin beat behind it and spanish guitar. Sometimes the sweetest pleasure is pain, and love often doesn't come without one or the other,. Most of the time, they mix together. I love this whole album, including the spanish versions of "Escapar", and "Heroe".

11.) "I Get Lost" (acoustic version) by Eric Clapton, from the "Story of Us" Soundtrack

I admit, I had to download this one. A couple of years ago, I had a Best of Eric Clapton CD, (I think it was "Eric Clapton Unplugged" although I'm not certain.) 25 of my favourite CD's got stolen from my purse at work, and I refused to buy the albums I had already paid for once, again. (With the exception of Lauryn Hill's solo album, “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill”, and Fiona Apple’s “Tidal”.)

The CD that was stolen had a somewhat dance version of this song on it, as the extra track. I loved it, and played it over and over again. This acoustic version is still good, but not as good as the one I enjoyed so much, which is impossible to find. At least, it’s hard to find online.

12.) "Slow Like Honey" by Fiona Apple, from the album " Tidal"

I've purchased this album four times, because it is an intregal part of my music collection, and every time I lend it out, the people that borrow it seem to find it’s the case for them, as well and never return it.

The slow, sensuous and haunting lyrics, Fiona's smoky vocals, and unique melody are what keep me coming back to listen to this album again and again.

13.) "Another Round" by the Foo Fighters, from the album "In Your Honor"

The first disc of this 2 disc release is typical Foo Fighters, angsty, somewhat growly music. The second album, and my favourite of the two, is like “Foo Fighters Light”. All the quality, and half the angst. In other words, It's the Mellow Foo's.

I think that's the new quote of the week, right there. The Mellow Foo's. Anyways, this song is fantastic, with it's simple guitar, basic drums and bass, and harmonica. to borrow a phrase, I dig the hell out of it.

14.) "Chinese Food In the Hood" by The Fugees, from the album "The Score"

This skit is actually attached to the end of the song "The Beast" on the Fugee's album, and through the magic of sampling, I cut it out, because every time I hear it it makes me giggle. in particular, the line "This ain't channel 5, Nigga!"

15.) "Everyday People" by Arrested Development from the album "3 Years, 5 Months And 2 Days In The Life Of..."

At the risk of putting too many Sly and the Family Stone covers on this compilation, I'm going to have to say, I don't bloody well care. I LOVE this song, and I had to search for this song online, since it's near impossible to find in stores. I'm still on the hunt for "Mr. Wendal", by Arrested Development. This brings me back to Grade 7. Frightening, eh?

The Newest album released by Arrested Development (“Among the Trees”) is pretty hot as well.

16.) "Sorry" by Madonna, from the album "Confessions on a Dancefloor"

There are very few artists whose new album releases I anticipate like a fat kid wanting cake, and "Confessions..." by Madonna was one of them. I pestered sales associates at music stores with my request for the album, weeks before it had been released, and every time "Hung Up" came on the radio my ears perked up.

While "Hung Up" got my attention at first, "Sorry" stuck a chord in me lyrically, so it was the song I decided to put up on my compilation. I predict this will be one of the singles released rather soon from this album on mainstream radio.

17.) "Que Sera, Sera" by Sly and the Family Stone, from the album "Higher!"

Que Sera, Sera, whatever will be, will be, the future's not ours to see, que sera, sera. I figured it was about time to put a real Sly and the Family Stone song on the set, since I've bastardized the lot of it with two (effing awesome) covers.

The smooth vocals and soft swing of the instrumentals and organ in the background make this the perfect music to relax to after a long hard day. I guess it's true, whatever will be, will be, and it's something I had to learn the hard way around lately.

18.) “Change” by Tracy Chapman from the album “Where You Live”

Huh. Tracy Chapman put out a new album. it’s not super, but it’s not bad, and by far the best song on the entire album is the first song, “Change”, with it’s swinging style, simple acoustic blues guitar that has some very pretty riffs, and easy drums, focusing on Tracy’s unique vocals. Lyrically, it’s pretty poignant, and has somewhat a pretty positive message. It’s thoughts that everyone has when hindsight is 20/20 and what they would have done to make things better.

Well, that's it. No more tunes for YOU! I hope you enjoyed the compilation, and if not, you're missing out! give these ones a chance, and I’m sure you’ll grow to love them.

Special thanks to (In no particular order): Robert (aka. Dean), Erik Begg, Greg, Jeffy, Oliver, Johnathon, Luke, Devin Pike, Dr. Ryan Maynard, and anyone else I missed, for either recommending or providing the music over the year, that I grew to love so much for this compilation and the stuff that I regrettably had to leave aside.

To my clients in design: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part in creating or remaking the look of your company. For a large part, this music was playing in the background while working on your stuff, feeding my creative frenzy.

As always, a thank-you to my Mom and Dad, who forgive me despite the ridiculous shit that I do, and the stupid decisions I make every single day. I'm not the best daughter, but you love me anyways, and I'd be remarkably alone without that love and acceptance. This year was brutally hard on me mentally, and you guys are still here.

A big shoutout (in no particular order) for the year to:
The “local yokels”: Crystal D., Crystal B. and Kirk, Elizabeth, Melissa and Luc, Allison and Graham (and baby to be!), Lisa and Perry, Larry, Mark, Doug and the crew at
Endyne Productions, Damien, Shannon, Andrew and Jessica.

School Girly related: Haig Armen and Johnathon Strebly for being the best damned teachers I’ve ever had in my entire life, the Entire EMD10 class, Vanessa, Michel ,Joaquin, Nick, Nikki, and Oliver. I had a good nine months with you guys. I’m sorry I couldn’t pull through the whole way. Shit happens.

The Ontario Crew:Mitch, Scott, Chris Strange and Guy in Girl's Clothing, Sorry I couldn’t make it down for New Years, but work, she interferes.

Erik Begg, for being my ever so gracious host at www.wiggler.ca, who hosts my podcasts, and lets me use storage space online, gratis. You guys should thank him for getting all this free music. I miss you like hell, Erik.

Statesiders and the “Texas Cronies” (past and present): Devin Pike, Marty Yawnick, Mike Guerrero, the sister of my heart, Miss Jerilyn Freeman, Sarathena, Steve for designing (or rather, is in the process of designing) my next tattoo...

And gad help me if I've forgotten anyone because I probably have. Sorry if I left you out.




You know that unfortunately, you can't pick your family members, and in some cases, it's a good thing I'm not related to you guys because the things I say to you (and have done with you depending who you are *leers*), would never fly with my folks. That being said, I might not be rich in dollars, but I'm rich in friends. Thank you all.

Happy Holidays, whatever religion, whatever beliefs you have, and wherever you are in the world.

xoxo

Linds.

This album is dedicated to the memory of my grandfather, Gordon Moxam, and a recently departed
friend I've known since the age of five, Noga Zuniga. You will both be missed, and never forgotten
.

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." -- Beverly Sills

All songs are creative property of the artists that created them, and the songs
in this compilation album have not been, and are not to be used for personal
financial gain. Respect creative copyright, and where available, purchase
the music you listen to, okay? Deal.

Please don’t sue me, I already owe enough money to everyone and their dog.

Yes, the dog too. Don’t ask. It’s a LONG story.

No comments: