Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Music Top Ten

top 10 Artists/Albums in my iTunes playcount totals?

1. Sufjan Stevens "illinoise"
2. k.d. Lang "Drag"
3. Madonna "Confessions on A Dancefloor"
4. Enigma "Love Sensuality and Devotion: The remix collection"
5. Jamiroquai "A Funk Odyssey"
6. Fiona Apple "Extraordinary Machine"
7. Boards Of Canada "The Campfire Headphase"
8. Arrested Development "Among The Trees"
9. Beastie Boys "To The Five Boroughs"
10. De La Soul "De La Mix Tape: Remixes, Rarities and Classics"

top 10 best album purchases this year (2005)?

1. Fiona Apple "Extraordinary Machine"
2. Beastie Boys "To The Five Boroughs"
3. Madonna "Confessions on a Dancefloor"
4. Dead Prez "Let's get Free"
5. Foo Fighters, "In Your Honor"
6. Gipsy Kings "Greatest Hits"
7. Green Day's "American Idiot"
8. Jazzanova "Jazzanova Remixed"
9.Jamiroquai "Travelling Without Moving"
10. Scissor Sisters "Scissor Sisters"

Albums I wish I'd never purchased/recieved in 2005:

1. Billy Idol "Devil's Playground"

I've had my beef with Mr. Idol's newest album, I said my piece, and incurred wrath. Mainly from a lovely "bash Linds about everything from her sexuality, her writing abllity, her appearance, and the fact that she didn't study journalism so she's not entitled to have an opinion on any type of music, much less have a sense of humour while reviewing something" thread on the Billy Idol fan club online message forum for my thoughts on said album. On an album? Puhleese.

Yes, yes. Kudo's to the Idol man for making a new album. I can dig that. I can respect that, that takes balls. But... I didn't really dig the album. Okay I hated it... It does make a lovely coaster, however.

I joke. I would never do that to music. I gave it to my landlord, who actually likes it, on the condition that he would only play it in his car, and not in the house.

2. Lisa Marie Presley "Now What?"

Admittedly, it was given to me by a coworker that said I would "just love it!". No. No I don't. Sorry Scotty. Lisa's riding on Daddy's coattails, methinks. She's not awful, but she's not GOOD, either. The world doesn't need more mediocre musicians in the professional field.

3.) Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company."

Wait! Wait, waitwaitwait. don't eviscerate me. I dig the Ray. What I dig about him is his simplicity and the pure joy in his voice. What I don't dig is another artist coming in, and fucking with that groove. Some of the tracks are good, but I preferred the movie soundtrack, which is all original Ray Charles tracks that have been tweaked and Digitally remastered.

While this is multiple grammy winning album... Like I said, I prefer the solo Charles.

4. Sheryl Crow "Wildflower"

The cover art on this album, is fantastic. From a designers perspective, I'm in heaven.

From a music fan's perspective, Not so much. Tame. Tame Sheryl Crow. I saw this woman sing live once at Another Roadside Attraction, (a multi-band concert that travels Canada Wide) and she rocked harder in 1997 than she does now, that's for sure.

Sheryl's got Madge-itis. Madge-itis, you ask? Madge-itis, is what happened to Madonna when she popped out her kiddos and then released American Life. It's what happened when she covered "American Pie" and butchered it. It sucked. Something sucked the life out of Sheryl Crow, and I damned well hope her next album isn't so whipped. If Madonna can redeem herself after American Life, then I hope Sheryl can within the next year and a half.

5. Mariah Carey "The Emancipation of Mimi"

Okay. I do like this album. I'll admit, I liked "Butterfly", too. The only problem I have with "Emancipation", is that it's not the best music to listen to when you're down in the dumps, which for me, has been a lot lately; Because man alive, can Miss Mariah whine.

6. Sigur Ros - "Takk"

Dean introduced me to Sigur Ros, and I honestly liked it. My teacher gave me a copy of Takk on the sly, and all I have to say for this album is one word.

Overrated.

7. Kelly Clarkson -- "Breakaway"

I was never a fan of American Idol, finding it flaky and a cheap way to achieve fame. I swore I'd never own an album released by a winner of the show, and then Kelly Clarkson turned out to be horrifically talented.

So, if that's the case... Why do I wish I'd never recieved this album? Because I promised myself that I'd never be all angsty and whiny and listen to girly music like this when I was pissed of at a male after the age of 20, again, and I caved. I caved big time. I was Kelly Clarksoning it, and Enrique Iglesiasing it, and Joss Stoning and "I will survive"-ing all over the place.

Yeah. I broke a bunch of promises. I like Kelly Clarkson. Ha! Take that.

I had more to write, but it's been a while. Cheers.

No comments: