Wednesday, August 04, 2004

A couple notes of interest...

Luc read my blog entry for the blues/jazz CD I made from his music stash, and decided to toss in a few interesting facts about the musicians and songs that were included. Any of my notes are in Italics.

“There Must Be a Better World Somewhere” was written by Doc Pomus and I think was originally done with Dr John.

B.B. King has 15 kids, to 15 women. (Holy shit! It should be Busy Boy King, NOT Blues Boy King.) As far as I know he was never married. Though I’m not 100% sure on that as it’s been years since I’ve read his book and my memory sucks. (I disagree with this last statement. Memory is all relative. I can remember things from when I was three years old and not remember what the hell I had for dinner last night. So there. :P)

“The Sky is Crying” done by many blues musicians written by Elmore James who influenced as many blues musicians as any. Also one of my favourite early blues musicians. Stevie's version is still one of my favourites. (I concur.)

“Life Without You” was one of the songs Stevie Ray Vaughn did to prove he was more then just a guitar player. If you liked this one I highly recommend checking out “Life By The Drop” if you haven’t already.

“Peel Me A Grape” I agree definitely boil me a crab. Come on, why would she ask for a cab? It just wouldn't be right when considering the other lyrics. She would want a limo, a cab wouldn't be good enough. (Good. I'm glad I'm not going deaf.)

“They Can’t Take That Away From Me” It’s a Gershwin tune. If you haven’t heard the version by Ella(Fitzgerald) and Louis (Armstrong) with Oscar Peterson on piano I highly recommend it. Along with any other Gershwin tune or anything else Stach and Ella ever did. (I actually knew this was a Gershwin tune, being that my favourite jazz song of all time, that I'm found belting around the apartment, or work, or on the street for that matter... is "Summertime" also a Gershwin tune.)

Dr John. His Autobiography is one of the weirdest books I’ve ever read. If half of it’s true he’s hands down had the most interesting life I’ve ever heard of. If you ever get the chance to read it, it’s called “Under a Hoodoo Moon” I’d lend it to ya but I don’t have it, been trying to find it for years but every time I find it they want at least $50 for it and I can get it from the library for free. Also worth checking out is “Litanie Des Saints,” “How Come My Dog Don’t Bark,” and “Walk on Guilded Splinters.”

A veritable Cliff Claven of information regarding tunes. It's always nice to have a different perspective, and random notes of interest.

Danka.

No comments: