Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Tunes to Groove by... (Volume 3)

Okay, long time no post of any real significance, or amusement value. Apologies tendered all around. I'm a bad, bad, busy girl. *smirks*

Linds' Blues Compilation (Various Artists)

I promised a review of the new Blues/Jazz CD of stuff that I picked, and Luc burned up for me.

Oh My God in Heaven...

This CD, is orgasmically good. I tried to stay away from more modern sounding blues, and stick to the gritty, raw emotion filled vocals, grumbly bassed, rock style blues. I think I should have left the Diana Krall out, and maybe the very first Tracy Chapman track, because they don't really go with the flow of the music, but I wanted the songs anyways.

This is the track listing, and lyrics if I could find all of them:

1. Tracy Chapman -- "Fast Car"
Quite possibly the saddest, most bittersweet love song ever written that I've heard. With the young dream of leaving everything you know behind to make a fresh start and something better out of life, and finding out you were wrong.

2. Tracy Chapman -- "Give Me One Reason"
God, I love this song. Modern or no, the bass line is sooo sexy. Recognizable in an instant. I do this song at Karaoke quite frequently.

3. John Lee Hooker -- "1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer"
Unbelievably gorgeous song of heartbreak, and the character Johnny, His baby's gone away, he want one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer to get the her off of his mind.

4. Ella Fitzgerald -- "Mack the Knife"
By far the most original version of "Mack the Knife" I've ever heard. She forgets the lyrics and brilliantly ad libs at least half the song.

5. Ella Fitzgerald -- "Black Coffee"
This is one of my all time favourite Ella songs. I acquired a compilation 4 disc set of her stuff as a gift, with 60 songs total, and this song, much to my dismay, was not on any of the CD's. So I got it for this mix. Gorgeous.

6. Etta James -- "At Last"
This is the song that I want to have my first dance to with my husband when I get married. The lyrics are simple and unadorned and very, very sweet.

7. B. B. King -- "There Must be a Better World, Somewhere"
No lyrics for this song unfortunately, at least none that I could find. However, I did find a GREAT Biography of B.B. King. The man is phenomenally accomplished. This is a great tune about how the world can seem to be against you when all you're trying to do is make it through to the next day.

8. B. B. King -- "Why I Sing the Blues"
Basically, this song, is a history of Blacks and the struggles that they've gone through. Everything from slavery,the trials and troubles of love, poverty, prison, to the black power movement in the 60's and the treatment they receive. (However, this version, seems to be completely different from any other lyrics that I've found online that are the same title as this song, all the ones I've found are pretty much just about marriage.) This song is almost ten minutes long, and a live recording as far as I can tell.

9. B. B. King -- "How Blue Can You Get"
A story about a woman that B.B. may have married, but probably didn't. Who was "Evil when you're with me, and jealous when we're apart." seems that she was quite the nasty lady. This is a live version and the crowd goes just NUTS in the background in portions of the song when he wails out the lyrics.

10. Billie Holiday -- "Good Morning Heartache"
Billie has a voice that expresses emotion so beautifully, that it's no wonder she's famous. "Good Morning Heartache, sit down." If you can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em.

11. Peggy Lee -- "Fever"
Not necessarily "Blues" but still, a good song. Everyone I know loves it. "Chicks were meant to give you Fever, be it Fahrenheit or centigrade." Damned rights.

12. Stevie Ray Vaughn -- "The Sky is Crying"
Oh My God
. Everything about this song is amazing. Guitar, vocals, lyrics. Probably one of the few of my absolute favourites of all times. If they had this at karaoke, I guarantee you, that I would sing it every single time.

13. Stevie Ray Vaughn -- "I'm Leaving You"
Good Lord this woman is nasty. I think I would want to send her "Swimmin' with the Fishies" too.

14. Stevie Ray Vaughn -- "Life Without You"
Very bitter sweet love song about love lost, and meeting up with them again afterwards. I originally thought this song wasn't quite what I was looking for in the mix, but it makes up for the stuff about the nasty women in all the other songs. I can empathize with the sentiments in this song.

15. Diana Krall -- "Peel Me a Grape"
Now, I swear in this song, she says "Boil me a crab," and not "Call me a cab." However it could just be my ears, but I don't think so. It's not like she slurs her words. *shrugs* Very sensual, sexy song, but I think it's too modern a style of Jazz to put on this mix. Oh well.

16. Diana Krall -- "They Can't Take That Away From Me"
This song is simply about remembering the things that enamoured you to you're lover. Very well played piano. Nice slow walking bass line. I did this song in Jazz Choir in highschool.

17. Dr. John -- "Since I fell for You"
I couldn't find the lyrics for this song either unfortunately. I included a biography of him. He's got a very unique voice. This song is about being in love with someone that has stopped loving you, and how it's too bad that you're still in love with them when "you love me and now you snub me."

That's it. Awesome mix.

Thank-you, Luc, for letting me browse your collection of Blues/jazz.

No comments: