Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Deco City


Deco City (cmyk)
Originally uploaded by Duchessdocktrash.
This was created for print, to be sent to my friend, Dean, in New York City, and who I love dearly.

Dean was my virtual Valentine this year.

When I was in New York, working for a publishing house, I fell in love with the city. As I've written in GSD before, I still miss it, to this day, and crave the pizza I had in the Italian District of Manhattan with a passion sometimes.

When I studied the History of Design in school, I fell in love with Art Deco style artwork.

This is a commingling of the two, bringing a modern twist to Art Deco, with it's mixture of angled rays, straight lines, the waves of the water and the solid shades of complimentary colours.

Some critics have called this my best piece to date, but honestly, it was designed to cheer up a friend that needs a "hug", when I'm too far away to provide one physically. I guess having a good goal in mind creates exceptional art, and making Dean smile is always a good goal to have. It's a reminder that there's always someone in everyone's life that makes things brighter, no matter how dark it may seem now.

So, my dearest Neurotic Monkey, from one watery coast to another, even though yours is under 2 and a half feet of snow at the moment, this is for you, with love from me.

It'll be in the mail within the next month.

No comments: