Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Tunes to Groove By... (Volume 4)

It's been ages since I've written a CD review. My bad. I know I've been threatening to do one on the new Big Sugar CD and Aretha Franklin CD I picked up, but I went on my trip, and quite honestly they slipped my mind.

However, I did get a new compilation CD today from Ryan, my old roomie. Ryan's got two monsters in creation, the "I Am Woman" compilation, and the one I've been drooling over that I got today which is mostly the more popular hits from the clubs around Vancouver, and around the world, since Ryan works for Princess Cruises and has been to clubs all over the flippin place...

So without further ado, here goes...


Ryan's "Slap 'Dat' Bitch" Mix
. (Various Artists)

1. Beyonce -- "Naughty Girl"

Because I, love to love you baby. There's a few songs of hers on here. She's a damned good vocalist and she's uber foxy in this video. Aw hell, she's foxy all the damned time. I dig the fur, even If I would never wear the stuff. ( I lie. I have one hideous jacket with some sort of fur collar on it that was forced into my hands by my grandmother. Even though it's too short for my arms, and doesn't reach my wrists. Some winter jacket. Whatever. It's from the 60's. I'm not allowed to throw it out, so the fucking thing stays in my closet... But I digress...)

2. Nelly -- "Hot in Herre"

The roof, The roof, The roof is on fire...

I especially like the lyrics,
while your dancing in front of the mirror when your on the phone, checkin your reflection and tellin' your best friend "Girl, I think my butt gettin' big."
Because quite honestly, I think I've said that way too often.


3. Beyonce and Sean Paul -- "Baby Boy"


Beyonce again. Ryan likes Beyonce. I think that's universal for all men. Straight or gay. Coincidentally enough most women like Sean Paul. *winks*

4. Pink/Annie Lennox(Eurythmics) -- "Get This Party Started vs. Sweet Dreams"

Originally, I was a little turned off by this song, its one of those musical amalgamations that are so hot lately, like the
White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" mixed with those dudes rapping. Quite honestly, I don't even listen to the radio. I've heard it like three times. And that was at the club. I think this mix is pretty cool now, however seeing as I like both tunes.

5. Sean Paul -- "Get Busy"

Shake that thing miss.... Apparently he's saying women's names in the song. I couldn't tell you that for certain but Ryan swears he hears the name Jody and Rebecca. This song is VERY fun to dance to. It's a wicked mix of reggae style vocals with club beats.

5. Black Eyed Peas -- "Smells like Funk"

Ryan likes the Black Eyed Peas. So do I. This is actually one of my favourite songs on the Elephunk album. Aaah what am I saying. I like all of the songs on that album. Apart from the somewhat nasty lyrics in this one, which I kinda find amusing... But then again, I lived with my parents for 21 years, and my Dad, well... He's the king of bathroom humour.

6. Janet Jackson -- "You're so Vain"

I bet you think this song is about you, don't you, don't you, don't you?

A remake of the original song, with some funky beats and some cursing tossed in there. My favourite part is the clouds in my coffee line. It's just really neat visually to think of. Ever since I heard the original, whenever I put cream in my coffee, I hear this part of the damned song in my head.

7. Beyonce, featuring Jay-Z -- "Crazy in Love."

Beyonce
again. And her ultra bling blinged boyfriend, the Hoover himself, mistah Jay-Z. I like this song. But not as much as Beyonce's other stuff. I read in a magazine, that Beyonce said this beat was "So hard it hurt." I disagree. I've heard Missy Elliot do harder shit than this to be quite honest.

8. Christina Aguilera -- "Dirty"

DIRTY, FILTHY, NASTY. Words usually associated negatively with women. To be quite honest, I respect Christina loads more than Britney. I dunno why. Perhaps because she was never afraid to be herself, even if that involved wearing chaps and boycut panties in a video. Whereas I had this huge love/hate thing with Britney, when she was this sex symbol as a 16 year old, and proclaimed herself a virgin when she was dating one of the "Sexiest Male Artists." Yeah fucking right. Tell us another one Brit.

I also think that
Christina is Far more talented than Britney.

9. Britney Spears -- "Toxic"

After my rant about not liking Brit, I kinda feel like an arse saying I love this song. But whatever. I LOVE this song. It's so "James Bond." I can't describe it any other way. This song was one of the reasons why I was so eager to get a copy of this compilation from Ryan.

That, and I could TOTALLY see peelers doing their thing to this song.

10. Pink -- "Get this Party Started" (original version)

A great song to get ready to go out with, or just to hype yourself up with in general. Full of confidence and sass. I have this song on two other compilations that were burned for me.

The first time I ever heard this song, was the first time I ever went to a strip bar. Yeesh. Not my fondest memory, but definitely a humorous one.

11. Cher -- "(This Is a) Song for The Lonely"

Cher,
Queen of power anthems. This song has depressing lyrics, uplifting lyrics and a very fast beat. It's one of those ones that Ryan classifies as


"The ones that make you want to kill yourself, but your happy about it!"

12. Usher (Featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris) -- "Yeah"

Fuck. I LOVE THIS SONG. Love it! Everything about it. I can't specify exactly what. It just kicks ass.

13. Pink -- "Real Love"

This is an older Pink song, about independence and how "Shorty got a job, shorty got a car, shorty can pay her own rent." And how she doesn't want a man with money, or a car, or any of that shit. Just a man that can show her real love.

14. Ice Cube -- "Do It."

Okay, I liked this song. I liked it a year and a half ago. But I have this song on THREE mixed CD's. I'm tired of it now.

Well. I do like that slapping sound that replaces the word "ass" in this version.

15. Black Eyed Peas -- "Hey Mama"

Cow bells start it off. Can it get any cooler? Yes. Yes it can. Toss some Crazy Grandma organ playing in the background and your fucking set. This song is fun to dance to.

16. Black Eyed Peas -- *Shut Up"

Another wicked tune. I only have myself to blame for putting this CD into the car stereo when Ryan was in it, and played this song REPEATEDLY for the entire drive from Vancouver, to Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, and back to Coquitlam again on the hunt for fireworks on Canada Day. He purchased it two days later.

In all actuality, the
B.E.P. CD was in my discman on the way to work a few months ago, and I actually did a spin or two on the way up to the store from the Skytrain. I'm sure the people watching the surveillance cameras got a kick out of that at seven thirty AM on a Sunday.

17. Destiny's Child -- "Say My Name"

Surprise!
Beyonce! I can't help but think of American Pie when I hear that phrase...

18. Black Eyed Peas -- "Let's Get Retarded"

Let's get retarded! (HA!)

I love saying the HA! Part wheezing like an old man. *shrugs* what can I say. I AM a dork after all..



All in all this is a VERY good CD, for Pop/Hip-Hop music. I kinda wish the
B.E.P. and Beyonce stuff was a bit more spread out, but that's just a minor thing. I'm super stoked that there is "Toxic" and "Yeah" on there. If I could replace one song from there, with something that hasnt been played on the radio yet, at least not to my knowledge it would probably be switching "Hey Mama" with another B.E.P. song called "The Boogie That Be."



C'est Fin.

No comments: