Thursday, September 16, 2004

Tunes to Groove by... (Volume 5)

I've been listening to this disc lately, still loving the lyrics, and some of the messages behind what they contain, not to mention wicked beats.

The Fugees -- "The Score"

Okay, so this IS an old CD. Like 1995 or so. I listen to it regularly. I love Lauryn Hill, I think she's extremely talented, and supremely gorgeous. I have her solo CD too. I have an unabiding passion for Wyclef Jean, who has a gorgeous voice, and Mmmm Lawdy, he's a beautiful mocha man. Pras is a brilliant Spinner, with a natural talent for beats and sampling and not too shabby skills at rapping.

This disc is brilliant lyrically, politically sharp, absolutely hysterically funny in the interludes between songs, (which Lauryn uses in her Solo debut as well.)

Lyrics range in topics from the war between MC's, which as far as I know doesn't happen as often, (or isn't as publicized as frequently in the Media) and the typical MC braggart personality in "How Many Mics" the complications of love, abusive relationships, police brutality, homelessness, poverty and many more topics affecting the African American and immigrant communities.

My favourite tracks include "Ready or Not" which has a sampling of the background from Enya's "The Celts" disc (released in 1994) The original "Fu-Gee-La", a remake of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song" (funkified, faster and utterly gorgeous with Lauryns vocals.) A remake of Bob Marley's "No woman, No cry." and several other tracks.

I'm a fan of old school Hip-Hop and Rap, perhaps it's the reason why this disc is a staple in my regular CD rotation. It's also one of the reasons why I enjoy listening to Missy Elliot so much. She always has an "Old School" flair. This style of rap is more about enjoying yourself, finding the joy in life and discussing pertinent social issues, more than bling-bling and petty bullshit.

I love music that combines old stuff with new stuff. It might not be the most creative form of music, but it does show creativity in wanting to put a spin on something that was already there. not necessarily fixing something that was broken or even improving it... Just making it into something unique. However, there are a large number of tracks on this EP that are VERY original.

No comments: