Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Maze Of Hallways...

Music Of The Moment: "Skin" by Madonna

I just spent the majority of my afternoon winding my way through the confusing, tangled hallways of the main Langara campus. I HAD to go in there, because I needed to talk to Continuing studies office official peoples, get a student ID card (which, admittedly I had been putting off) and traipse about to the Student Union building to get a Fastrack pass for my travel costs.

It's no secret that I hate going to the main campus, and I'll wholeheartedly admit that I'm a snob when it comes to the individuals I talk to. I'm thoroughly fed up with the brusque, patronizing, condescending, impersonal manner that I get from every single person I speak to on campus that THINKS that they are in any position of authority. (Newsflash, Student Union Office members, You're glorified perma-students, nothing more. You've become a professional at avoiding the real world. Congratulations. This, is G.N.N.**) It disturbs me that nothing seems to matter to them but but themselves, and the stupid hierarchy of other perma-students avoiding reality that they have built around them.

I don't share the typical mentality of a college student, seeing as I've done the majority of my carousing and binge drinking (Please note, that I've said the MAJORITY of it. There's still some kicking around left in this old mare.) I've fucked my way around, sowed my wild oats, had my fun and now I'm just in college to *gasp* get an education. Fancy that. It frustrates me to see people who PAY for an education, and then decide that they are going to show up hungover for class, or not do the assignments given to them, or slack on a group project expecting someone to carry their ass through the class, all the other sorts of negative things that some college students do. It makes me entirely satisfied to be in a smaller, subsidiary campus, in a learning atmosphere where the majority of my fellow students are a little more mature, (about 85-90% of them haven't come fresh off the boat right out of highschool to the campus.) Most of them are between the ages of 25-45, very intelligent, and not afraid of buckling down and doing homework.

It's actually quite impressive to think about how this small group of people (My class consists of nine students) have bonded. In first term, the majority of us were too timid to voice our opinions about other peoples design skills, what we found lacking, and what we found were strong design attributes. That sense of hesitancy has fallen to the wayside now, and we criticize and compliment each others work freely. This is where we differ from the regular college courses. We don't compete for attention, we work together. That's what we've been taught to do. We don't come into school parading around in the newest fashions, trying to impress our classmates, because, quite honestly, we DON'T CARE about that shit. There are no battles over popularity (Or if there are, they are minimal.) Because the majority of the students in this program don't have that highschool mentality lurking in the brains of most of the students on main campus. This was the main reason why I hesitated so much in GOING to college/university, It wasn't because I had no faith in my intelligence, it was because I have a love/hate relationship with college students due to some REALLY bad experiences with them while dating my first boyfriend. those experiences were also one of the reasons why I was hesitant to go to Langara. I'm sure I'm generalizing the HELL out of them, when they don't deserve it, but damnit, there was nothing that disputed that fact while I was wandering the hallways of the main campus today. Plus, I'm apparently getting REALLY good at pissing people off with my opinion, so why the hell not add a few more hate filled stares aimed my way?

Needless to say, I was pretty damned uncomfortable being looked at with scorn for being lost in the hallways of the main campus. Thank goodness I only have to go there once a month to get my bus pass.

**The Glamazon News Network

No comments: