Friday, May 27, 2005

Music Is My Heroin... Tunes To Groove By Version 1.0

icon

Beastie Boys -- "The In Sound From Way Out!"

Artist: The Beastie Boys

Album: "The In Sound From Way Out!"


Genre: Rap and Hip Hop, Funk, Ambiant, Rhythm and Groove.



(A brief review for Y'all, I know it's been ages since I've gone and written one.)

What happens when you cross three Jewish New Yorkers that started off as alternative musicians that decide to make fun of rap, that find out they love it, and that they can become exceedingly wealthy because of it? You get the Beastie Boys.

What happens after nearly a decade of them rapping, becoming bored of rapping for the moment, and then deciding to create an entire instrumental album mixing up Funk, Hip-Hop, ambiant, Rhythm and Groove, Latin and a myriad of other genres? You get "The In Sound From Way Out!"

Wow. This album was a shocker to me, and to be quite honest, I didn't even know it existed until this afternoon, when I let my iPod take control and play through my recently added music. It's a well known fact that I have over 420 albums (3983 songs and counting.) in my iTunes Music Library, (aptly enough, I renamed it "The Glamazon Shoe Discotheque") and most of the time, my music is playing in the background while I'm doing assignments, homework, or slapped over my ears via iPod while I'm on public transit, nose deep in a novel. Typically nothing can shake me from my novel, and my music is normally pleasant distracting and nullifying noise from the rest of the poor shmucks like myself that take transit to and from work/school. (Have I mentioned, dear readers, that I hate people? I do.)

At any rate, this album was enough to shake me out of the revelrie that is my fantasy novel and make me pay attention, with clever beats, soulful funky guitar, and a sexy drawling bass line that had my nips up at arms. Half of the time, it's what I've just desribed, and the other half of the time, this album is a mixture of The Philosopher Kings, Earth Wind and Fire, Sly and the Family Stone (minus the vocals) and that damned background music CD that TJP plays at every party she hosts by St. Germaine called "Tourist".(I love it, don't be fooled by my brash words.) Toss in some very ambiant, almost Enigma/Delerium style tunes, and you've got "The In Sound From Way Out!" I'm always on the lookout for great instrumental albums to do my work to, and as far as I could tell, this entire album wasn't really sampled pieces as much as original instrumental pieces played by the boys themselves, which increases my respect for them as musicians threefold.

Highly enjoyable, and very much recommended, I Give the Beastie Boys "The In Sound From Way Out" 4.5/5 Glamazon Shoes.

No comments: