Saturday, July 02, 2005

Wandering feet... (Photo Blog entry)

Music Of the Moment: Beck -- Lost Cause from the album: "Sea Change"and The DAM radio Podcast for Friday July 1st, 2005.

I was supposed to go take some photographs of my old business partner today for some of her shenanigans. Unfortunately, things fell through, and I was left downtown at eleven in the morning on a Saturday, mildly grumpy, with an itchy shutter finger and nothing to shoot at.

Well, there's always an opportunity to remedy that situation.

So begins: Linds goes to Chinatown.

I've got this addiction to Chinatown for some reason, finding the brick walls and the colour red so predominant throughout the entire area, the subtle and not so subtle decorations on everything from the light posts to the gigantic gate that vehicles pass under to enter into that part of Vancouver. I suppose it's the same thing that makes me love Gastown so much, even though some parts of it are an absolute hole. (In ways, I find that dive aspect of Gastown appealing as well.)

Entry Gate to Chinatown

Catching the number 19, camera, powerbook and iPod blasting some Scissor Sisters in my ears, I decided to get off in Chinatown and snap some pictures of local businesses and accoutrement, as well as strolling through the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens which always leaves me feeling peaceful and appreciative of the natural and sculpted beauty within the whitewashed walls in the heart of Chinatown.

Pagoda in the center of the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens

Pathway at the Gardens

Bamboo... Obviously. Jeebus.

The scents of the markets are redolent with spices, the tang of foreign fruits, and reek of dried fish. Some days I can't walk past stuff like that, since I've got a fairly strong sense of smell. There are people EVERYWHERE, and you have no idea how hard it is to get a clear shot of stuff without waiting three minutes for all the people to get the hell out of the way. Hey, I was TRYING to be patient. Really, I was. The colours alone blew me away.

Food, Glorious food.

Yes, Those are Lizard Lollies. YUM! Nutritious crucified lizards! (and my iPod headphone cord. whoops)

Ah well, I got my photographical fixin's. And some lizards for snacking on. (I'm joking. Ew.) However, I bet they're nice and chewy inside with crispy skin. Just like KFC. Everything's supposed to taste like chicken, right? These were the ones I thought were the best out of the 60 pics or so I took, on my hour long stroll through Chinatown. A glimpse through my eyes, at a part of the city I live in.

Ciao for now, I'm going to go whack around an offensive green tennis ball against the clay.

No comments: