Sunday, March 13, 2005

Music is my Heroin...Tunes to Groove by Version 0.8

icon

The Tea Party -- Tangents


Artist:The Tea Party

Album: Tangents: The Tea Party Collection

Genre: "Metal"

Back in my halcyon days of alternative music concert attendance, between the ages of 15 to 19 years old, (it's all a blur to me now...) I attended several HUGE, outdoor, alternative, multi-band concerts, either being called "Edgefest" or "Another Roadside Attraction". These were GREAT concerts, and the one I attended in the summer of 1997, was headlined by The Tea Party.

The Tea Party,
is a band that originates from my stomping grounds, the glorious Great White North. (If you had any idea how completely "anti-nationalist" I am, you would know that's very tongue in cheek. I'm a piss-poor Canadian.) In particular the city of Windsor, Ontario.

I have a terminal attraction to the lead singer, one Jeff Martin. Other than being absolutely SMOKING hot, with a voice that could make me cum on command, he's also remarkably talented, playing Guitars, Sitar, Hurdy Gurdy, and Harpsichord. He plays many other instruments as well as the few listed there. The band claims to have played 32 instruments in their release "The Edges Of Twilight". Martin also produces about 95% of the albums released. He's a brilliant, moody, mildly arrogant individual. But he's dayum hot, so that makes up for it.

"Tangents" is considered their "Greatest Hits" and great, it most definitely is.



For a larger version, click here.

I actually find it hard to define exactly what style of music they make, and the best analogy could be one I found on the VH1.com biography of the band: (Yes, I do research quite a bit before I write these reviews.)

"...the trio's sound marries rock with elements of Middle Eastern, Celtic and Mediterranean music."

Epic lyrically, with a timeless sound in some of their tracks, and an edgy, unique twist on Metal in others, toss in some Electronica, incorporate Middle Eastern instruments in with screaming guitars and passionate vocals. (But not on all tracks.) It could be considered a tribute style band for The Doors and Robert Plant, being so influenced by them that it's obvious to any experienced music afficionado.

Granted, the time their first album was released, they didn't quite fit in with the alternative music scene, making them a shining beacon for the individuals that disliked conformity in music, and appealing to slightly older fans of music that remembered the bands that The Tea Party were influenced by and were mimicking.

Hell, my MOM even likes these guys. (That shows she has GREAT taste in music, or I've been influencing her.) She defined it once for me, but unfortunately, neither her or myself remember what word she used when describing them. I even called her to ask.

My particular favourite tracks on this album:

"Temptation" -- (From the album "Transmission" released in 1997.) Hot lyrics about being consumed with the urge of sexual desire. Fantastic thudding rhythm, and energetic guitar. This song was HUGE when I went to Edgefest, and as soon as they stepped on stage you could hear the entire audience (approximately 1000 people or so) chanting out "Temptation! TEMPTATION!"

"Sister Awake" -- (From the album "The Edges Of Twilight" released in 1993.) Heavily influenced by Middle Eastern instrumentation, with sitars and mandolins throughout, gorgeous lyrics about returning to a lost love, and finding your memories of the past to be better than reality.

"Save Me" -- (From the album "Splendor Solice" released in 1995.) My absolute favourite Tea Party song of all time. I wish I had been old enough and exposed to this music when they first came out with this song. the lyrics are in regards to a man leaving his wife to go off to war, dying and the effects of his loss on his wife and son. Hence the title "Save Me".

"Heaven Coming Down" -- (From the album "Triptych" released in 1999.) Remeniscent of Pink Floyd, with its beginning ticking clocks, it suddenly turns into a walk into a church. That is, if the chuch bells were guitars. I enjoy the acoustic effects used on the vocals and percussion.

"Paint It Black" -- You guessed it. A wickedly done cover of the tune originally done by The Rolling Stones. HOT!

The only thing I regret about The Tea Party, is that in recent years, they seem to have declined in originality, and have fallen into the typical commercial trappings of Alternative/Metal. A pity, indeed.

Out of a Glamazon Shoe Rating of 5 shoes, I give The Tea Party -- "Tangents" 4/5 shoes.

No comments: