Friday, March 04, 2005

A Thought. (It doesn't have to be a cohesive one.)

Music of the moment: "Walking Wounded" by The Tea Party

The past while, I've been reading some phenominal blogs.

I'm not joking. There are some amazing writers out there, with views from every perspective, and life experiences that I've never had. (Not surprising...) People, that although they might have trouble writing a book, (and some that actually do write for a living.) that write about their lives in an entertaining manner.

With a few, I find them as a personality, somewhat abrasive, and I don't generally LIKE them all that much. However, I don't really know them, I just read what they feel like writing, and I try to remain in that perspective. It's just a persona, but one they publicly choose to express.

Occasionally I get to see the softer side of someone that usually shows themselves as being a complete hardass.

Some are a little too cruel for me on a day-to-day basis, lurking on others blogs, and viewing them as literary prey to vivesect at a later time. It's all well and good that YOU'RE writing is phenomenal. Yes, you're grasp of English far supercedes some poor sap in Buttfuck, Nowhere.

I can understand the frustration at reading someone's stuff that ISN'T, but that doesn't require such a brutal, almost bullying behaviour because of it. Then again, I'm sensative and entirely too empathic at times. It can also be said that what they don't know, won't kill them.

So, I still go back to read their stuff... Mainly because they are SO damned talented, and usually it's a case where I'm so damned bored reading dry Typography lessons, or staring at my PDF's for Illustrator, that I'm wanting to read something that isn't so lacking in personality, and specifically created for instruction purposes or following guidelines. It's more a mental break from pushing myself too hard with school, and my business. I don't want to burn myself out from busting my chops 19 hours a day.

These people, however abrasive or as much of a hardass as they may seem to be, have that intelligence. that particular Joy d'vivre, that some writers lack. I read them anyways, much like how I refuse to put down a novel that I'm struggling through (Which isn't very often... but has happened. In particular with some stuff written by Andre Norton.)

The reason why I keep on reading them? I knw there's gold in there somewhere, and when I find it, it sets off this little zing of satisfaction in my brain.

It's the comments, or statements that make me burst out laughing, cause a simple smile, or even make me shed a few tears, that make it worthwhile. It's nice to see that they aren't just ONE style of personality, and that occasionally, along with that catty-ness, they've got a heart that they are equally as good at writing from.

No comments: