Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Music is my Heroin...Tunes to Groove by Version 0.5


icon

Me First and the Gimme Gimme's -- Are A Drag.

Album: Are A Drag

Artist: Me First And The Gimme Gimme's

Genre: "Alternative/Punk/Musical??"

Finally, an album that combines the best of both worlds, Punk Rock, and Musicals.

Waittaminute... Okay, I realize that I just said that with Green Day's "American Idiot", but seriously people, it's a wicked combination.

This isn't QUITE as original as American Idiot, however, seeing as they are doing covers of classical musical pieces. The twist? (lime, or lemon?) The only songs they cover, are sung by women.

I was originally going to go to bed, but this album is so damned fun, I couldn't resist.

Covers include:

"Summertime" By Ira and George Gershwin, Performed in "Porgy and Bess" (One of my favourite songs to sing in the shower) that's been turned into a breezy, sundraught, very "Pulp Fiction" sounding tune at the beginning, and then the RPM gets turned up from 45 to 145. Jesus. if it actually WAS a record, it would have launched off of the turntable. (Yes, I might be 24, but I DO remember records. I even USED them when I was a kid. Somehow, I missed eight tracks...)

"Science Fiction, Double Feature" from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" Which sounds SO awesome with the tight fast guitars and rocketing drums, this is probably my favourite track on the entire album. Mainly because I know all the damned words. (Okay, I know ALL the words on ALL the tracks. I'm a vocalist, remember?)

"These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things" from "The Sound Of Music" -- I usually HATE this song. Blasphemous, I know. Punk-Rock can fix anything I guess.

"The Rainbow Connection." -- Now, I swear this song was done by Kermit the Frog, (And if that's the case, it's the only thing that's not really following along with the rest of the album's theme.) However, I could be wrong. If someone knows what musical it's from, please, do enlighten me.

Any way you look at it, that song was still one of my favourites that Liz used to sing while playing her guitar.

"Don't Cry For Me Argentina" From "Evita." Madonna has fuck-all on these gents. Perhaps it's the fact that "Don't Cry..." annoys the hell out of me, and I love seeing it get it's just desserts by being sped up threefold.

"Cabaret." It's gone from being sultry and teasing, to Ska. Far-fucking-out. I do this song at Karaoke ALL the time. Well, not this version, but something similar. Life IS a Cabaret, Dahhhlings.

"The Phantom Of the Opera." Yes, NOTHING is sacred to these boys, not even the Phantom. I'm phenominally impressed with the vocal talents of the individual that does the incredibly high notes in the background and harmonies. It's so high up there, that I could swear it was a girl. A VERY uncomfortable girl.

"Tomorrow" from "Annie". Awesome. Simply, awesome. That oughta teach Shirley Temple for being so darned cute.

These boys have WONDERFUL skills at harmony. I'm not shitting you.

Out of a Glamazon Shoe Rating of 5 Shoes, Me First And The Gimme Gimme's -- "Are A Drag" get a rating of 4/5 shoes.

1 comment:

Linds said...

I KEEP on hearing that from you boys. (And girls! No discrimination here!)

How lovely, and flattering. Thank you. Hopefully I can keep on putting out the ones you guys like.

They say that flattery gets you everywhere Cryp... *leers* Try me.