Sunday, February 20, 2005

Music is my Heroin...Tunes to Groove by Version 0.3

icon

Elvis Presley, "Boy from Tupelo"

Artist: Elvis Presley

Album: Boy From Tupelo

Genre: "Rock"


There's a little known fact about me, other than by the friends I hang out with on a regular basis, that I LOVE the compilation discs sold at Starbucks. It started with my initial purchase of "Mambo Mio" and has snowballed from there.

Well, I love almost all of them. I avoid the "Love music" compilations, because, quite frankly, If I hear "Unchained Melody" one more time, I'll gag. I hate Aaron Neville.

I digress.

I picked up this CD last week, and have listened to it about seven times since then. This is not the receding hairline, fat, in a gaudy jumpsuit on the stages of Vegas, Elvis shit.

This is the 18 year-old, gorgeous, swaggering, impulsive, sweet-demeanored, wondering what he would sound like on a record, Elvis shit.

Heavily blues influenced, with a lovely vocal drawl, and mostly acoustic guitar in the background and blues guitar sassing the front end, you can tell this album is based in the early 50's.

The whole album is great, but my particular favourites are "One Sided Love Affair" with his classic "Uhuh huh..." Style of vocals, the mournful and romantic "Blue Moon" which is one of my favourite songs to sing. The ballsy "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" where he's lamenting his gorgeous female and her "wanderings" in their relationship, and how she's treating him wrong. The sassy "Money, Honey." about the complications of romance and how another man took his place because she wanted the "Money, Honey" and the heartbreak in "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" about how his woman has left him.

Ahh, the sorrows of youth and romance.

The rocking classic "Blue Suede Shoes" I think my dad wore blue suede shoes to his wedding. I know he wore a blue tux. It's closed off with "Hound Dog" One of my particular favourites that I've slaughtered quite nicely at Karaoke.

I NEVER pictured myself owning an Elvis CD of any sort, but I guess I'm getting older.

Out of a Rating of FIVE Glamazon shoes, Elvis Presley "Boy from Tupelo" gets 4.5/5 shoes.

Gad, Elvis was hot.

No comments: