Saturday, August 06, 2005

Insuring Prompt Service...

Hi there.

Mike G. here, filling in for the lovely Linds.

p.s. Thanks for letting me run around in your sandbox.

Before I start, I want to say I have nothing against all the hard workers in the service industry. I only have a few questions about the system in which they operate.

I have very little skill in the kitchen. If it didn't come in a bag ready for boiling or prefrozen, I've got trouble. So I go to restaraunts pretty often. Now, I rarely go anywhere considered fancy, so that's out of the discussion. So here's my question:

At what point do I start to pay directly for my service?

I ask that because as anyone in the service world will tell you, they get paid squat [or less than, depending where you live]. They argue that the tip is what allows them to make a living. I don't dispute that, and even share in a little of that blame. If business owners were forced to pay a living wage, the argument goes, prices would skyrocket, and noone would go out to eat. But if I'm subsidizing the labor, why haven't the prices gone down?

Fine.

So, exactly what is the current wage paying for? Let's take your average waitperson as an example. Am I wrong in expecting that person to take my order correctly? If I order a drink, should I expect only one or two refills, and pay extra if I get more? Is stuff like that covered by their hourly wage?

Somewhere along the line, the tip changed into something akin to a hidden fee.

I'm not saying that service shouldn't be rewarded. If I want substitutions or a special order, I'm not boorish enough to not realize that takes additional effort.

Now if I don't recieve special treatment, I'm still expected to tip. If I go the grocery store and buy a loaf of bread, I'm not expected to kick in an extra dime because it wasn't smashed up by the stocker.

All I'm asking for is some sort of chart or maybe a graph.

Oh man, I hope Linds still talks to me after this is over,

Courage,
Mike G.

No comments: