Saturday, August 06, 2005

Enough about the guest posters already!!

Okay, okay!

So, I could give you another teaser about New York, and my political misadventures.

I was at the height of my game, politically, and was enjoying speaking to hundreds of different listeners, with all sorts of ethnic and socio-politcal backgrounds, I was attending "Plant gate" sales, outside factories at four in the morning, selling books from Malcom X, Martin Luther King Jr. and numerous feminist authors to workers going in and out of the gates during shift switches. Truth be told I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I probably opened a lot of peoples eyes to a lot of really revolutionary writers. That's the thing I enjoyed the most, I think. The fact that people had the opportunity to read MLK jr.'s speeches, and not just the "I have a dream" one that is famous, but there's a period after that speech, ten years long, where MLK jr's speeches and writings, protesting the way the the government was not only treating blacks, but the poor, protesting the war in Vietnam, a myriad of other things. Things that the media, and the government didn't want publicized, to see these people reading the words of this influential speaker, this revolutionary man.

I still get a thrill reading his writings. Malcom X was one of the other revolutionary individuals who I respect tremendous amounts. Not even my shitty treatment by the organization I was in at the time I left (I'll get into that more later) could ruin the way that these men thought, and the way that they influenced the world with their writings.

More to come on this later today.

The song dished up on the server for this hour of audio entertainment is Son of A Preacher Man, by Dusty Sprinfield.

Enjoy.

No comments: