Saturday, August 06, 2005

Stays Mainly On The Plain

Greetings. I'm Devin, your host for the next half-hour. Please keep all hands and feet inside the browser at all times. (Sounds kind of like the Hokey Pokey.)

While heading to Los Angeles this week for X Games 11, I'm looking over research material with the host of the show I'm working for these days, Richard Hunter. We're reading bios for everyone when I remember that my bag has a copy of the current ESPN the Magazine (not to be confused with ESPN the Coffee Grinder). The cover story has Mat Hoffman, Moto X honcho supreme.

Hoffman has been knocked out, shredded, bruised and contorted more times than I care to count. I used to think I had a high pain threshold until I read this article. The centerpiece of the spread is Hoffman talking about a surgery he went through to replace ligaments in his pummeled knee with polyester cords.

See, the operation was highly illegal, but Mat wanted to continue his career. So, he went along with it, and didn't bat an eye when the quack doing the procedure asked Mat to do it without anesthesia. This means that when Doctor Feelbad is drilling into Mat's knee, Hoffman can smell the burning bone.

I'll let you catch up a bit, because there's a reason I bring all of this up.

The place where Hoffman went to have this surgery done?

CANADA.

Even as everyone crows about nationalized surgery, and how much better the model is in the Great White North than here... you still have "doctors" asking you to hold the drill in place while a screw is tightened. I can't make this up if I tried.

OH, CANADA. OUR HOME AND SADIST LAAAAAAND...

Enjoy the rest of the Blogathon, kids. Linds is phenomenal, and I have no idea where O would be without her. Cheers!

Oh, my song for the hour? A little vintage Betty Blowtorch. Bow down before Bianca Butthole, ya cretins!

No comments: