Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sensory Overload.

I'm a person who is riveted to my senses. I revel in the taste of chocolate on my tongue. For me, touching skin is the same as how petting a cat is relaxing to people. I enjoy good food, good music, and good conversation. I'll dip my feet off of the end of the dock, and while I'm a little freaked at swimming in freshwater, (sad, I know) I love the feeling of the sandy edge of a beach in between my toes. *winks at Chris Strange* I enjoy other things between my toes, too.

I try to be the person that will stop and smell the roses. Or lilies, which happen to be my favourite scented flower. I revel in colour. My tattoos will attest to that, excepting the kanji running down my spine which is made to look like brushwork, and is only black ink. All told I have nine tattoos, and four of them are in full colour, with no less than seven colours in each, and the one on my lower back, which is a dragon with tattered butterfly wings, has eleven colours in it.

I enjoy the feeling of getting a tattoo, surprisingly enough, the mild shock of pain leading into the euphoria of adrenaline rushing through my body, much like a jogger on a runner's high. It's a unique feeling. When I was getting the Kanji done on my back, I sat there for an hour, while my tattoo artist started at the top of my lower back tattoo, and worked her way up my back. I didn't cry, but I didn't talk, either.

The same can be said for body piercings, which don't hurt as much as you would think, comparatively to tattoo work, the pain from a piercing is instantaneous, but quick, and fades just as quickly. You're tender for a few days, (depending on what you get done) and the swelling is the most irritating part of body piercing. Tattoo work feels like a rather bad sunburn for a week or so, but after that, if you're conscientious, and take care of yourself, you've got a beautiful piece of artwork on your skin. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me.

No comments: