Saturday, August 06, 2005

The tired has passed...

Somewhat, and the giddiness has begun. Long live the giddy.

At any rate, I was going to write you guys a story about New York, again. I'm wracking my brain, which is getting sluggish at this point in time. I won't crack, I've got people on my ass, cheering me on.

so I've written the rain one, and I realize that I'm going to backtrack a little here, but I didn't have enough time to complete the story the way I wanted to tell it. So I am now.

At any rate, I was saying how, the rain on the cement, is one of my favourite smells, and the reason why this pops into my head at this moment in time, is because about a week ago, when I was talking to Ian online, there was a huge thunderstorm outside.

Vancouver's been having a little heat wave. Nothing like Ontario is suffering, of course, but when there is days upon days of hot weather, you know that the thunderstorms are coming along somewhere in the middle.

At four in the morning, I was waxing philosophic with Ian, discussing a myriad of things. This man has an interesting outlook on life, and the conversation was jumping all over the place. I could hear the sound of the thunder booming outside, and the rain was slamming against the side of the house, and I couldn't resist. Four am gets me lost in my memories, apparently.

I went outside, a little scared that the lightening was going to strike me dead, (My Grandmother is rubbing off on me, she's terrified of Thunderstorms, and I adore them.) just to feel the rain on my skin, and smelled the same smell from New York from the path down the center of my yard. The memories that flooded through my mind, just from the scent alone were amazing, and brought it to the forefront of my mind.

It's amazing the power that scent has over memory. You can recall an event from a whiff of perfume on the breeze, you can recall conversations from the scent of a flower, from it being on the table during dinner. Or from the dinner itself. I tend to revel in the scent of a lover, after a long time of separation from them. It's really a powerful thing.

The song up on the server right now is B.B. King, "How Blue Can You Get". One of my favourite songs by him.

No comments: